What is an NHS Health Check?
The NHS Health Check is a free check-up of your overall health.
It can tell you whether you’re at higher risk of getting certain health problems, such as:
During the check-up you’ll also discuss how to reduce your risk of these conditions and dementia.
If you’re over 65, you will also be told the signs and symptoms of dementia to look out for.
Who is the NHS Health Check for?
The check is for people who are aged 40 to 74 who do not have any of the following pre-existing conditions:
- heart disease
- chronic kidney disease
- high blood pressure (hypertension)
- atrial fibrillation
- transient ischaemic attack
- inherited high cholesterol (familial hypercholesterolemia)
- heart failure
- peripheral arterial disease
- currently being prescribed statins to lower cholesterol
- previous checks have found that you have a 20% or higher risk of getting cardiovascular disease over the next 10 years
You should have regular check-ups if you have one of these conditions. Your care team will be able to give you more information about this.